Friday, 22 April 2016

Totoro Coconut Cake

I finally watched My Neighbor Totoro a few weeks ago. What's taken me so long? It's such a cute movie, and I love the animation style. In honor of the adorable character, I thought I'd make something creative and cute. In the end, I settled on making a mini cake.
Totoro Cake

 Cake Ingredients:
♥ 1 cup of all purpose flour (I used a gluten-free blend)
♥ 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
♥ 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
♥ 1/4 tsp cinnamon
♥ 2 eggs
♥ 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice) + 1/2 tsp vanilla
♥ 1/2 cup coconut
♥ Coconut oil to grease your pans
Totoro Cake
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, blend the milk and vanilla and eggs.
4. Toast your coconut. To do this, spread your coconut thinly on a baking sheet and put in the oven. Watch it carefully, though, and take it out of the oven as soon as it start to turn brown, because it burns fast!
Totoro Cake
5. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and blend well. Add the coconut and mix completely.
6. Thoroughly grease your pans with coconut oil. I used a small round pan for the body and a little ramekin for the ears.
7. Bake for around 20 minutes.
Totoro Cake
 Topping Ingredients:
♥ 1 cup of icing sugar
♥ 3 tsp of milk (I used rice milk)
♥ About 1/8 of a cup coconut
♥ Red, blue and green food colouring
♥ Any additional decorations
Totoro Cake
1. To make the icing, mix together your icing sugar and milk. You may need to add some more milk, but be careful not to add too much!
2. Divide your icing into 2 separate bowls, one for the grey icing and one for the white. To make the grey, mix in 1 drop each of red, blue, and green food colouring.
3. Use your smaller cake to make ears and glue them on with icing. You can also use some cake to fill the dip if your cake falls, or just eat it plain.
4. Start to ice with your grey icing. Fill a piping bag, using a small round tip. Ice his ears and a semicircle over his belly.
5. Next, use the white icing. Add 2 little dots on the grey for eyes, and fill in his belly.
6. Cover the white of his belly with shredded coconut, and add any other details. I used chocolate chips for his eyes and nose, and black bean spaghetti for his whiskers.
Totoro Cake
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe! If you try it, I would love to know. You can tag me on Instagram @littlemoondragon. Enjoy!

-Amy

26 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks delicious!

    Thanks for sharing

    xx
    Lizzie | Garland Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so cute and must be delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah I love Ghibli and I love cake so this is a total dream! <3
    www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cara, I'm so happy you like it ♥

      Delete
  4. That movie is adorable, and this is so cute!! :D It looks great!!
    Thank you so much for sharing ^-^

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carla, I'm so happy you think so ♥

      Delete
  5. Woah, lovely! Totoro is so cute. I definitely need to watch the movie.
    Love, Fads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your blog Amy, it's so pretty! This is the cutest make ever, I adore your photos too and I'd love to have a go at making this! :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth, I'm so happy that you like it! I'd love to know if you do end up making it ♥

      Delete
  7. Oh goooosh! I am in love with this adorable cake!!
    I LOVE totoro!! Like seriously love the movie so very much. So this cake is just perfect! I might steal this idea and make my own Totoro cake ;)
    Hope you are having a beautiful weekend.
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mona! I'm so happy that you like it, isn't Totoro such a cute character? ♥

      Delete
  8. Yum! Such a lovely cake in honour of an amazing animation :)

    Pop over to my blog!

    Sarah
    sarahinks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable! Totoro and sweet treats are the best combination ♥

    x | Mish's Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mish, I think so too ♥

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness Amy--this cake is so adorable! I've always loved My Neighbor Totoro...I can't believe you hadn't watched it until now. At least now you really understand the Totoro fad ;)
    You really are a skilled baker. I don't think I could have ever come up with anything like this! Such a cute cake.

    I'm so sorry that I haven't stopped by in a while! Life's been crazy busy :) I love your new design, though, so fresh and cute. Hope you're doing well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much MJ! I'm not really much of a baker, I just got lucky.
      I totally understand! It's so nice to see you back. I'm doing well, and I hope that you are too ♥

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. ???you didn't even leave a comment???

      Delete
  12. totoro is such a cute film! and this looks like a lovely lil' cake! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura, I'm so happy you think so ♥

      Delete
  13. Your dishes are so pretty! And the cake is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
I always respond, so check back if you have a question
If you have a question, you can also email me at littlemoondragon@outlook.com
Please no spam or follow for follows!