Thursday, 21 July 2016

Recent Reads Part 1

I don't talk about it a lot on my blog, but I am a total bookworm. Growing up, books were something of great value in my household, and almost weekly we would all trek to our local library, and when we got home, we would try and find a spot in our overflowing bookshelves to fit in our borrowed books. I almost always have a book on the go, and consistently find comfort in their black-and-white pages.
Since I've been on summer vacation, I've been reading quite a lot lately, so I thought that I'd share with you my five favourite books that I've read recently. Just to let you know, none of these books are particularly happy. In fact, the majority of them are quite sad.
I decided that this was the summer that I needed to read more classics, and this is the one I decided to start with. This book gave me more insight into what the American South was like in the 1930s, something that I've never really had any reason to learn about before, being Canadian and all. What I did not expect was for this book to be written in the point of view of a child. As smart as children can be, the world is still seen differently from their eyes. Children are born without prejudice, and the way that they are raised has the potential to shape their whole lives. To see the world from the eyes of a child who doesn't quite understand the complication, hatred, and bias of the world they live in gives this book a unique feel.


Alright, so this is technically a kids book, but that doesn't mean that it isn't good. Sometimes I almost find children's books better than YA books. They don't try as hard to be cool.
Finley Hart has been sent to her Grandparents house for the summer. Her parents needed some time alone to talk, so they shipped her off to her father's parents who she has never met. When Finley has has one of her "blue days", which happens quite a lot, she writes about the Everwood, a forest of her invention in her notebook. But when she arrives at her Grandparent's house, she finds the Everwood right behind it.

In 1922, Rowan Collier has seen both sides of the eugenics movement. Her father was a strong supporter of it, and Rowan grew up with his influence. However, everything changes when she contracts polio. Years later, she finds herself playing the part of a born cripple in a eugenics exhibit that travels to county fairs. But when Rowan and her new friend Dorchy escape, they find themselves on an isolated island where a summer camp is run by a Eugenics Council, and something is killing off the children.

I know that I said none of the books in this list were particularly happy, but this is quite possibly that saddest book that I've ever read.
When Sora is diagnosed with ALS, he turns to an Internet chatroom for a source of comfort. Feeling trapped in his own body, he finds friends in strangers, and learns more about life, and death, each day.

The Paper Magician and The Glass Magician by Charlie N Holmberg
Yes, I've only read two books in this trilogy. My library didn't have the third, okay? I still am planning to read the third, I just haven't go around to it yet. I'll just summarize the first one, so as not to spoil anything.
When Ceony Twill graduates at the top of her class from Tagis Praff School for the Magically Inclined, she is crushed to receive an apprenticeship in paper magic instead of metal. Yet while she is learning from Magician Emery Thane, she discovers the wonders of paper magic. But when an Excisioner, a magician of dark magic, arrives at their cottage and rips Emery Thane's heart from his chest, Ceony must embark on an extremely dangerous quest to save the life of her teacher.

What are your favourite books that you've read lately?
-Amy

24 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you that kids' books are sometimes a lot more enjoyable than YA! Haha I often go back to some of my childhood favorites and end up reading them several times over.
    I've been starting to read #Girlboss, it's been super awesome so far! I feel like I'm just learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stella, I do too! I'm going to have to read that now ♥

      Delete
  2. OMG YOU'RE CANADIAN THIS IS SO COOL. xD
    I read TKAM last year, and I really enjoyed it! Scout's an awesome narrator - hearing the story in her voice brings back a ton of my own childhood memories. <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Ellie, Canada is really nice but not very exciting :)
      I totally agree, I thought it was really interesting to hear the story from her point of view ♥

      Delete
  3. I wanna read To Kill a Mocking Bird so bad, it's an absolute classic.

    Olivia // BLONDE LA MODE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a lot too. Lately I've read Good Times Bad Times by James Kirkwood for the 100th time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love to know what others are reading ♥

      Delete
  5. The Last Leaves Falling sounds so sad but I want to read it! And I read to Kill a Mocking Bird in school and really enjoyed it, you can see why it's such a good classic, I really want to read the prequel too! x

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you liked it too Leigh! And I would totally recommend The Last Leaves falling, but you may need to grab a tissue box near the end of it ♥

      Delete
  6. These seem like really good books, I'll definitely give some of them a try. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arushee, I'm happy you liked it ♥

      Delete
  7. These books seem great. I like sad books. I'll put them on my list of books to read.
    Thanks so much for this post!
    Hope you're having a great day!
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mona! I hope that you like them if you read them ♥

      Delete
  8. I must confess I don't read a lot! I really should. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer is always a good time to read more ♥

      Delete
  9. I recently read Fangirl and I really liked it. I will definitely check out some of these :)

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Fangirl! I hope you like these books if you read them ♥

      Delete
  10. To kill a mockingbird sounds really interesting and I need to add it to my reading list! Thanks for sharing these!

    xo
    http://www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You should totally read it, its a classic ♥

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these! Thanks for the great suggestions. x
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Sanjana, I hope that you like them if you try them out ♥

      Delete
  12. I've been wondering, do you have a Goodreads account? Would like to follow you if you have one! :D

    ieyra h. | blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting my account sorted out right now, but I'll put a link on my blog when it's ready!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
I always respond, so check back if you have a question
If you have a question, you can also email me at littlemoondragon@outlook.com
Please no spam or follow for follows!