Thursday, 11 August 2016

What I've Learned in 3 Years of Blogging

This may be an odd thing to post, seeing as it isn't my blog's birthday. This year, my blog's birthday passed in late March with almost no celebration. Throughout my feed I've seen bloggers with far more followers than me celebrating monthly blogging birthdays or a one year mark, and I feel like a blogging dinosaur. To be fair, for a lot of the first years I spent blogging, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. But over three years, I have learned a lot, and I thought I'd share with you guys some of the main lessons that I've taken away from my blogging experience.
You can't be in it only for the followers
I'm not going to lie, I find it really disheartening when I see people who have been blogging for only a few months and have thousands of followers. But if I only blogged so that I would get lots and lots of followers, I don't think that I would be blogging today. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have lots of followers! But I genuinely enjoy blogging, and without that, I don't think that it would be worthwhile.

Make sure that everything you post is something that you would want to read, and never post something that you're not happy with
These are two things that I've started thinking about a lot lately before I publish a post. I feel like thinking about these before I publish a post and even before I start writing have really helped to improve my content. When I was in my first few years of blogging, I posted just for the sake of posting, but now I've come to learn that quality really is more important than quantity.


The more you post, the more you grow
Even though I think that you should be happy with and proud of everything you post, I don't think that you should be afraid of posting something because it's not perfect. No post will ever be perfect, but the more posts you make, the better your posts will get. Practice makes something-close-to-perfect.

Don't be afraid to reach out
When I first started my Ask The Blogger series, I was pretty nervous, and I still am every time I email a new blogger! After all, the bloggers that I interview are much more successful than I am and have many more followers. But everyone that I've got in touch with so far have been absolutely lovely.
So don't be afraid to talk to other bloggers, even ones that you look up to! Most of the people that I've met while blogging have been wonderful. It's important to remember that even though you may look up to them, bloggers are just people, same as you and me!

Speaking of Ask The Blogger, this month's blogger is Kailey from Mermaidens! She has one of my favourite blogs of all time, so if you don't follow her already, definitely go check out her blog!
If you don't know what Ask The Blogger is, basically you guys leave me questions and then the blogger of the month answers them. So please comment your questions for Kailey below!

What have you learned while blogging?

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on three (and a bit, at this point) years of blogging. That is no small feat in the slightest and definitely deserves to be celebrated and marked at any point in the year.

    I nodded my head off the whole way through your list - especially over the second point. That has been a guiding principle of mine since day one and something that I've only tried even harder to live by the longer (over seven years at this point) that I've been vintage blogging.

    Thank you for sharing these insights on blogging with us - as well as all of the wonderful posts you publish each year.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Jessica, I really appreciate all of your kind words! ♥

      Delete
  2. This is so inspiring! I love the post:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to understand that not everything I was writing was something I would read, I'm trying to be more careful on that :) Congrats on three years :) x

    | www.noirettediary.com |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It took me quite a while, too ♥

      Delete
  4. Point 2 is very true. I sometimes read boring posts. But hey, what's not boring for me, can be boring for others ;) Anyway, way of writing is important too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I totally agree ♥

      Delete
  5. This is such an awesome post and I have to say that your advice here is spot on. I think it is awesome that you have kept up blogging and it really is about the relationships you forge and being proud of the content you create than it is about numbers.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rae, I'm so happy that you think so! I totally agree ♥

      Delete
  6. Congrats on 3 years and a bit. I agree with you about several of your points, especially the quality over quantity thing. It is very important to feel like the things you post are good, otherwise you keep second guessing your blog.
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mona! I totally agree ♥

      Delete
  7. Happy 3 years of blogging, I remember reading your blog when it was "CatCraftsand Critters" and you've grown so much (•u•) For me, I've learnt to pace myself and take breaks from blogging when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mish! It means so much to me that you've been around for so long ♥
      I find that really important, too! Its very easy to burn out.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for these lovely tips ^^ They are really helpful. xx <3

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so happy I could help ♥

      Delete
  9. Beautiful hat!!! Amazing photo and post :) I greet:) Iwona
    http://fabricandcolor.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
I always respond, so check back if you have a question
If you have a question, you can also email me at littlemoondragon@outlook.com
Please no spam or follow for follows!