Sunday, 13 November 2016

Recent Reads Part 3

It's time for another Recent Reads post! I've been so busy lately that I've fallen a little behind with my reading, but I've still read some quite good books lately, and I thought that I'd share them with you. I'm not going to post about all of the books that I've read lately, just my favourites!
Dracula by Bram Stoker
My rating: 4/5 stars
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.97/5 stars

I just finished this the other day, and it's the one on this list that took me the longest to read. I didn't know what to expect going into this, but I quite enjoyed it. The story is more complex than I expected, and it had more characters than I thought it would. The story ties together many people through the mystery of a strange Transylvania count, and a series of strange events. This strange crew must band together to try to put an end to the terrors that Count Dracula has spread.


Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.14/5 stars

I love a good Agatha Christie, and this one is so exception. When Detective Hercule Poirot is taking a routine train ride, he doesn't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen. But then the train is stopped overnight by a snowdrift, and a man is found murdered. Poirot discovers that he must have been murdered by someone on the train,  but who could it be, when everyone on the train seems to be his enemy?

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.41/5 stars

I remember this book being quite popular a few years back, but I only got around to reading it when I picked up a copy at a  thrift store. The only complaint that I have about it is that all of the characters act a few years older than they actually are, but it's easy to forget while you're reading it.  August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that had prevented him from going to a normal school, but now that he's about to start 5th grade, his family decides that it's time for him to start at a regular school. This book takes us through his first year of school, from the perspective of many of the different people that play a part in his life.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.43/5 stars

This is such a beautiful book, and I read it in about two days. It all starts in the summer, when Aristotle and Dante, two boys who seem to have nothing in common, meet at a swimming pool and Dante starts to teach Ari (Aristotle) how to swim. The book takes us through the year that follows, and their journey of discovering themselves.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.44/5 stars

This is another book that I absolutely adore. It's so rare for me to really like the characters in a YA book, and I absolutely adored all of the ones in Six of Crows. The story starts when Kaz Brekker is offered the chance to be rich beyond his wildest dreams, if only he can pull off a seemingly impossible heist. But he can't do it by himself. I'll let the official summary speak for itself...
A convict with a thirst for revenge
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager
A runaway with a privileged past
A spy known as the Wraith
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes 


Have you read any of these? What have you read lately?

20 comments:

  1. Nice reads! I've read some of these, and all of the ones that I have read (Wonder, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Six of Crows) are all great books that I really love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so happy that you like them as well ♥

      Delete
  2. I love the cover of this book! So classic. I haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but it sounds like one I need to get my bum in gear and grab!
    a life of a charlotte
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Charlotte! I haven't actually read it yet, I just got it on Saturday and thought it would make a good picture ♥

      Delete
  3. Dracula is one of my favourite books, thanks for sharing! Xx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I'm happy that you like it as well!

      Delete
  4. Can you believe I have never read Dracula? It's always been on my "someday" list, but I've never dedicated myself.

    waltzandwillow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally recommend it Elizabeth! ♥

      Delete
  5. I've read Murder on the Orient Express, and Dracula is on my to-reads. I'll eventually get to Six of Crows, too. I've been reading a lot of historical fiction lately, plus rereading a bunch of old favorites, mostly children's books. One of my favorites has been the Boston Jane series by Jennifer L. Holm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love historical fiction, too! I would totally recommend Dracula and Six of Crows ♥

      Delete
  6. Great picks! I need to pick up a few good books for the xmas break x

    Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tiffany! Christmas break is the best time to read ❤️

      Delete
  7. I watched Dracula with Keanu Reeves and Gary Oldman. I was impressed. It was a long time ago, but I remember I enjoyed it in the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it! I'm going to have to now, though ♥

      Delete
  8. Oooh lovely picks! I love Agatha Christie and the cover of Dracula is so beautiful :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! I knew I had to get it as soon as I saw ♥

      Delete
  9. A really nice selection of books :) A really good read that's one of my favourites is "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov - it's a masterpiece

    x Nicole ᵔᴥᵔ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to read that! Thank you Nicole ❤️

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
Please no spam or follow for follows!