Friday, 17 February 2017

Recent Reads Part 4

I always love to talk about books on here, and I thought that it was time for another Recent Reads post. I've read all of these in the past few months, and they're all quite different from each other. I think that there's something for everyone in this compilation of books!
My rating: 5/5 stars
Average goodreads rating: 4.05/5 stars

Blue, the daughter of a psychic, has been told her whole life that her true love will die because of her. As she stands next to her aunt at an old church on St. Marks Eve to watch the parade of the soon to be dead, she sees a spirit for the first time: that of a raven boy, a student a the local private school. Blue has always stayed away from the rich raven boys, but soon finds that her and fate and that of four of theirs are unchangeably intertwined.
I absolutely love this book. I love the writing style, and the characters of the boys are perfect. Though I wasn't completely happy with the ending and I thought that Blue could have been characterized better, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would very highly recommend it.

My rating: 4.5/5 stars
Average goodreads rating: 4.31/5 stars

In 2044, the world revolves around OASIS, a virtual world. Wade Watts is a "gunter", someone who spends most of their time trying to find the clues left in the creator of OASIS's will. Whoever completes a set of challenges will become increadibly wealthy and the most powerful person in the OASIS. These "gunters" spend most of their time memorizing seemingly useless facts about 80s video games and pop culture; the creator was born in the 80s, and obsessed with the decade. It's been years since the creator died, though, and only a few elite "gunters" still care about the quest- that is, until Wade stumbles across the first clue. Then the race truly begins, and it's more dangerous than Wade ever imagined.
I was never really into video games, but this book made me way more interested in vintage video games and 80s culture. It's not the kind of book that I usually read, but I loved it, and would recommend it 100%. 

My rating: 4/5 stars
Average goodreads rating: 3.76/5 stars

Violet, and 18 year old dancer, is seems to have the perfect life. But she spends her life hiding from a horrible secret that happened years ago. Amber spends her days locked up in the Aurora Hills juvenile detention center, and can't image her life being any other way. Orianna, the incredible dancer, ties both girls together and holds a shocking secret.
This is unlike any other book I've read. It's beautifully written, but I wasn't that into it until the end... which I absolutely loved. I read this book in a matter of days, and quite enjoyed it.

My rating: 4/5 stars
Average goodreads rating: 3.98/5 stars

I read this one during Christmas break; I thought that it would be the perfect time to settle down in my chair for a while with a classic. I always love the peek into the past that books can give, especially Austen's. This one doesn't have a very strong plot, but I love the peek into Emma's life that it gives.

Have you read any of these? What have you read lately?


9 comments:

  1. THE WALLS AROUND US IS SO GREAT YES. And The Raven Boys is pretty good too! I liked The Dream Thieves and The Raven King best in that series, though, so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

    A few books I've recently read are Constable & Toop by Gareth P. Jones, Dickey Downey by Virginia Sharpe Patterson, and Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like them too! I can't wait to read the rest of the series :D
      Thank you for sharing Ellie! I'll have to check those out ♥

      Delete
  2. The first one sounds a bit spooky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really pretty copy of Emma. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SW! Penguin Classics are my favourite editions ♥

      Delete
  4. I love reading, and I'm always looking for new books to read. Thanks for this list! I'm going to check them out :)

    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nida, I'm hope that you like them if you end up reading them! ♥

      Delete
  5. You inspired me to write my own version of "Recent Reads" too! I think I'll be doing one since I've read a lot of books since January! Can't wait to share! ❤

    ieyra h. | blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
I always respond, so check back if you have a question
If you have a question, you can also email me at littlemoondragon@outlook.com
Please no spam or follow for follows!