Friday, 6 January 2017

My Top 6 Reads of 2016

I read a lot of books in 2016 (over 60!),so I thought that I'd share some of my favourites. I think that I've got a pretty good variety here, so hopefully there's something for everyone!

This is a book that I absolutely adore. It's so rare for me to really like the characters in a YA book, and I absolutely loved all of the ones in Six of Crows. 
The story starts when Kaz Brekker is offered the chance to be rich beyond his wildest dreams, if only he can pull off a seemingly impossible heist. But he can't do it by himself, so he pulls together the oddest my most deadly pair of misfits he can find.






Image Source


This book gave me more insight into what the American South was like in the 1930s, something that I've never really had any reason to learn about before, being Canadian and all. What I did not expect was for this book to be written in the point of view of a child. As smart as children can be, the world is still seen differently from their eyes. Children are born without prejudice, and the way that they are raised has the potential to shape their whole lives. To see the world from the eyes of a child who doesn't quite understand the complication, hatred, and bias of the world they live in gives this book a unique feel.

Image Source
 This is a children's book that I think is wonderful for people of all ages. It discusses the importance of time, and the importance of listening.
When the gray men come to Momo's town, everyone's lives become strictly efficient, with no time to spare. The only one unaffected by this change is Momo, a child with the gift of listening. Can she get the townspeople's time back before it's too late?
This is such a beautiful book, and I read it in about two days. It starts in the summer, when Aristotle and Dante, two boys who seem to have nothing in common, meet at a swimming pool and Dante starts to teach Ari (Aristotle) how to swim. The book takes us through the year that follows, and their journey of discovering themselves.








Image Source

 I think this is the one I read first out of all of the books on my list. I don't remember it perfectly, but I do know that I really liked it.
It's a wonderful and classic coming of age story, and is so real and heartfelt.











Image Source

This is another one that I don't remember perfectly because I read it so long ago, but it's another coming of age story. This one, though, seems more magical. It deals with memory, and the struggle of having to grow up much faster than you should when bad things are happening around you.











Have you read any of these? What were some of your favourite reads in 2016?

24 comments:

  1. These were some great picks! I personally haven't read any of these books, so I will definitely try to get my hands on them in 2017! Happy New Year!!
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sanjana! I hope that you like them if you do read them. Happy 2017 ♥

      Delete
  2. I definitely need to read Aristotle and Dante! I did read Six of Crows, although I found it to be a quite overhyped. However, I still enjoyed it for the most part :)

    Some of my favorite reads were Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld, The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands, and Merrick by Anne Rice.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should Ellie!
      Those sound really good! Thank you for the recommendations ♥

      Delete
  3. The second one - it must be worth reading! I think your selection is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Thank you so much ♥

      Delete
  4. These books sound lovely, Amy! Definitely going to look into Six of Crows. x

    https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Thank you Guilianna ♥

      Delete
  5. To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE The Ocean at the End of the Lane and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn; they're two of my absolute, all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like them too Alex! ♥

      Delete
  7. I love a good book! I've never heard of these before so it should be interesting. Thanks for the suggestions :) and happy new year!<3

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi, I hope that you like them if you try them! Happy new year ♥

      Delete
  8. These books sound lovely! Thanks for your suggestions.

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have no idea how happy this post has made me, as I have read none except To Kill A Mockingbird! Guess who is heading down to Waterstones ASAP haha! Great post :)
    Paige xo // The Joys of Being Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you liked it Paige! I hope that you like them if you end up reading them ♥

      Delete
  10. I think the only book I've read on this list is To Kill A Mockingbird, which is a great book! I am starting to read Aristotle and Dante again. I bought it last year but haven't picked it up since. This is the year though!

    xx BASH   ||   HEY BASH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should read it! It's one of my all time favourites ♥

      Delete
  11. I haven't read all of these books (only Six of Crows, TKAM, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe), but the ones I have read are some of my favorites :-)
    I'll have to check out the other books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you liked them too! I hope that you like them if you do read them ♥

      Delete
  12. Ohh how interesting, I need to get back into reading so this list was great to find some new books. Aristotle and Dante seems popular recently so I'm going to add that one to my list, thank you! x
    Minae ♥ MinaekeiLatest Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you liked this post Minae! I hope that you like Aristotle and Dante if you read it, it's one of my favourite books ♥

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment ♥
Please no spam or follow for follows!